How To Make Plant Markers With Found Objects

This is a very simple how-to, on how to make plant markers, it came about when I began to build up far too many pieces of pottery, pebbles, and bits of river glass, that I pick up on my adventures outdoors.

I have a whole cabinet full of my favorite finds, but things that are mediocre or plain, do not end up there, and I sometimes have a hard time trying to figure out what to do with them, besides throwing them away.

I was in desperate need of some plant markers for my herb and medicinal garden, I did make some out of wood, but after a year, these were getting really rotten and damp. Anything rotten and damp attracts pests, so it was time to get rid of them and replace them with something more permanent.

I don't actually need to mark my herbs as I know exactly what they are, but my partner has no idea, he uses the herbs for cooking, so I like to have labels on all the plants for his benefit.



Gather all of your intended plant markers together, this could be sea pottery, smooth flat pebbles, bits of smoothed glass, sea brick, even pieces of light colored flint, anything will do, as long as it's not sharp!

Just write the name of the plant onto the pebble or other found object, with a marker pen. Use one that is permanent, as you will probably be getting the marker wet when the plant is watered.

I just used a simple text, and tried to keep the letters as narrow as I could, with a bit more practice of writing on a stone these could be made to look quite pretty. A small painting of the plant or flower could also be added to the marker.

The picture shows the markers I made with pebbles,  the great thing about these are that they won't degrade over time, plus even these very simple versions that I made look pretty cute!

Some of The Pebble Markers



River Glass Plant Marker




No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are welcomed :)