Crystals And Minerals Found At Folkestone

This is the first in a series looking at local crystals and minerals. I intend to write about all the minerals that I have found in a certain area, as there is not much information online about where to actually find crystals and minerals in Kent, or which ones can be found. (For any sea glass, sea pottery, and shell enthusiasts, I will also be doing some more general beach combing guides for my local beaches, with information on what can be found in each place.)

These particular mineral examples were found at Copt Point, Folkestone, Kent. Copt point is very well known for it's amazing fossils, and is a great spot for anyone interested in minerals and geology. The beach is full of huge boulders, with clay cliffs. The boulders are great for trapping various bits and pieces that have fallen out of the cliffs or been washed up, and Copt Point is one of THE best beaches for beach combing IMO.




Iron pyrite nodule that I smashed open. I keep this in an air tight case as iron pyrite can go rusty once the air gets to it, this one is still shining and beautiful!


Gypsum Crystals - These are fist sized. These fall out of the cliffs onto Folkestone beach


Marcasite, I can't claim the credit for finding this one, my brother found it at Folkestone warren and gave it to me. It is one of my fave stones!


Green Aventurine? - Lots of this around. I have quite a few that I am going to tumble



Not sure what this one is! I will find out though...



This one - Lol! Don't know what it is, it has very fine yellow crystals, probably quartz. The stone looks like it could be yellow Jasper.



Hematitie, I can't find my nice red piece of hematitie which I found at Folkestone, but it is certainly found there. Look for red stones with weird rounded crystal formations (looks like fat cells but red!) Saying that, Hematite has many forms and can also look like a rusty stone. My pet sea slater lives inside a piece of rusty looking hematite (see below)

More to add....



No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are welcomed :)