List of Edible Plants

This list of edible plants is one I am slowly working my way through, investigating, eating, and cooking with the various plants listed. Some of them grow near me but others I am going to have to hunt for, It's a nice way to get out into the countryside and explore.

I believe that we have all that we need on this planet already, it's just finding it and knowing how to use it. I take a lot of inspiration from old fashioned books such as 'Culpeppers Complete Herbal' Once I start getting interested in trying a plant I do more research to make sure it is not poisonous, some of the plant names have changed since Culpeppers day and I don't want any mix ups! Also if a plant resembles another deadly plant (members of the parsley family and hemlock, for example, I don't touch it, just in case I got the identification wrong)

I have always loved nature and as a child lived in the countryside in a small village. My mum was very much into medicinal plants, and cooking with foraged food such as wild garlic, blackberries and elderberries, she had taught me all of the plant and tree names at an early age and I still enjoy pottering around mixing up concoctions. It's even more fun as an adult as you get to use the stove and stuff, lol! I have a large website dedicated to natural remedies here.



Here's my list of edible plants, which you can also find on my herb website. I am focusing on wild edible plants as I want to show what is out there in the wild for free. Of course if you ever feel like trying a wild edible plant do your research first, some may give reactions or not be suitable mixed with certain medications, make sure that you are fully aware of each plants toxicity as plants previously thought edible are being tested and found to be toxic .

Nettle
Wild Marjoram
Wild Thyme
Basil thyme
Marsh woundwort
Cleavers
Charlock
Hedge mustard
bilberry
cranberry
Common wintergreen
Borage
Oysterplant
Common comfrey
Brooklime
Watermint
Penny Royal
Winter cress
Gold of pleasure oil
Cuckoo flower
Garlic mustard
Black mustard
Blader campion
Chickweed
Spring Beauty
Hotten tot fig
Salad burnet
Reflexe stonecrop
Oppasite leaved golden saxifrage
Water purslane
Sweet cicily
Alexanders
Pig nut
Rock samphire
Angelica
Common Biswort
Wild strawberry
Common sorrel
Curled dock
Red valerian
Corn salad
Sneezewort
Tansy
Lemonbalm
Lesser Burdock
Greater Burdock
Common thistle
Chickory
Prickly sow thistle
Smooth sow thistle
Nipplewort
Bristly ox tounge
Dandelion
Goats beard
Butchers broom
Wild onions
Ramsons
Elderberry
Elderflower
Blackberry
Hawthorn Berries
Hazel nuts
Sweet chestnutGood King Henry
Common Orach
Fat hen
Sea beet
Glass wort
Common Malow
Wood sorel
Common restharrow
Alfalfa
Marsh cinquefoil
Hairy rock cress

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are welcomed :)