Types of Clouds - Low Level Cloud Types


I am attempting to take photographs of all the different types of clouds for my blog, while doing this I'll be learning about the cloud formations myself, and what kind of weather they bring.

 I am hoping to get a shot of all of the basic cloud types this year, and will be adding to this series as I take more pictures.

This post focuses on low level clouds, the five cloud types that are shown in my 'low level cloud type' infographic to the right.

Cumulonimbus Clouds


These clouds often mean a storm or bad weather is approaching, thunder, lightning, heavy rain, or hail. If a cumulonimbus cloud has developed a towering anvil shape this is called a cumulonimbus inca, or supercell. It's from these beasts that tornado's are formed.

The photos show some cumulonimbus clouds that I've snapped. Both of these were taken just before a huge storm.




Stratus Clouds


When you see this type of cloud it will probably be during a storm, raining or soon to be raining. Low lying, grey, and fuzzy. This cloud doesn't have much definition to it, and is kind of like a grey mist that closes in and blankets the sky.

These pictures were taken in the middle of storms. 



Nimbostratus Clouds


Awesome, thick, dark clouds, like the ones in the pictures below which I took in an almighty storm. These clouds signify rain and stormy weather, and are another of my favourite clouds to photograph. 



Cumulus Clouds


The classic fluffy white clouds, as seen in my photo of Ramsgate harbour. Often seen on a lovely sunny day these clouds can produce a shower if they swell.


Stratocumulus Clouds


These are bands of low level, white or grey clouds, which can be observed rain, snow, or shine. 

The fist photo shows these clouds in the sky behind the Westgate Towers in Canterbury as you can see I took this one in the snow.  The second photo shows stratocumulus cloud with stratus cloud. This was taken in the middle of a storm, with thunder and lightning.





I found a cloud quiz online and had a go, I got 11 out of 15, which was better than I thought. Why not take the cloud quiz yourself.

Mixed Cloud Pictures


This picture shows stratocumulus in the background (the white clouds) and nimbostratus in the foreground (the thick grey band.)



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your informative post. As a painter/sculptor who writes haiku verses for my paintings I have found it very helpful. I don't really want one of my poems and matching paintings to defy science....Warm wishes, Liadaan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Liadaan :) Thank you very much for the comment. Feel free to share a link to your work here in the comments, if you wish :) Usually I am deleting links (spams) but artists and poets are more than welcome to leave theirs :) I am also an artist and poet

      Delete
  2. I just LOVE looking up at the sky to appreciate all the variety of clouds! A couple of days ago, I actually thanked God for the beautiful wispy clouds I was seeing overhead. Isn't nimbostratus such a cool name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous aren't they :) Yes a very cool name, I'm thinking some of the clouds would make good names for some of my rats - Nimbus, Stratus, etc

      Delete

comments are welcomed :)